Sunday, December 2, 2007

Walnut Creek-Mt. Diablo Loop (35 miles)

Well I've been wondering at what point it would just get too cold to ride. Today I discovered the answer is: at about 3200 feet up Mt. Diablo, just shy of the summit. I started out this morning knowing it would be cold and gusty. Weather.com had predicted highs in the 40s with winds 15-20 mph. But still, I was surprised when I started up South Gate and there were hardly any other cyclists on the road. Usually, Diablo is packed with all kinds of bicyclists, dozens and dozens of them. Today there were a few coming down the hill, but I only encountered a couple on the way up. Weird.

Once past the rangers station and on my way up summit road, it dawned on my why I had the place all to myself. It was fucking freezing up there! If it was in the mid 40s down at sea level, it must have been in the 30s up at 3000 feet, especially with the wind chill. I turned back with about a mile and half to go till the summit, and then shivered my way through a frigid 10 mile descent.

So, a good ride, but probably my last ascent up summit road until spring.


Animules: one gray fox crossing South Gate road
Total Distance: 35 miles
Elevation gain: about 3200 feet
Time in the Saddle: 3 hours 25 minutes

No comments: