Friday, March 28, 2008

Three Bears - moderate (47 miles)

One of the most popular rides in the east bay is a loop around the San Pablo Dam and Briones reservoirs via Bear Creek Road. Bear Creek features three hills, which are known as the “three bears”.

The main loop is about 20 miles, but there are several ways to tack on mileage before and after the bears. This ride, a ‘moderate’ route, goes up Old Tunnel Road to Skyline, into Tilden via Grizzly Peak/Wildcat Canyon, and then tackles the bears counter-clockwise.

My cyclo-computer pooped out, so I don’t have good time data for this ride. I did record elapsed time up to Skyline, more or less, since this is my designated time trial section. I completed this section in 48 minutes, I think, which is slightly faster than last time.


Total Distance: 47 miles
Elevation gain: about 4200 feet
Time in the Saddle: unknown; probably about 4.5 hours
Route (on bikely.com): Three Bears

No comments: