Sunday, July 27, 2008

deposit on new Dahon Tournado

Today I put a 50% deposit down on a new size 52 Dahon Tournado. Dahon told my local bike shop that they should have it by mid-August, so we'll see if that holds. I've been waiting for this bike to be available since early spring. But I want it *now* damn it.

It's so pretty!

I did talk to my bike shop about switching in a different cassette. The Tournado comes with a 9 speed 11-26 cassette, which just doesn't provide the low gears that I'd like in a touring bike. If I get a different cassette, I'll also need to switch out the rear derailleur. The Shimano Ultegra derailleur will only work with a maximum of 27 teeth on the cassette, so if I want a 32 or 34 granny gear, I'll have to get a different derailleur.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful about component changes as they may impact how well your bike fits into its travelbox

-John Shade

cfg said...

Oh, I didn't think about that. Do you think a different cassette and derailleur would make that big of a difference? How form-fitting are these travel cases anyway?

RRRRRRRR said...

I agree the 26 tooth granny that came on my Tournado was barely sufficient to climb the Pyrenees, even lightly loaded.

The soft-sider case that came with the Tournado does have enough "play" to accommodate a longer cage derailleur and larger rer cluster.