Monday, August 20, 2007

Gear ratios

For most of June and July I spent a lot of my saddle time on the Terry touring bike, in preparation for the coastal ride. The Terry has mountain-bike gearing more or less: a standard triple up front (52-42-30) with a 9 speed 11-32t cassette in back. So with the 30-32 combination, you have a decent granny gear to get you up most hills.

This weekend I took the Dolce out for the Holstein Hundred, and I had completely forgotten how different the gear ratios are on this bike. I definitely felt it on every climb. When I got back home I started counting, and soon realized that, although the triple in front is the same, the Dolce has a 12-25 cassette as opposed to the 11-32 on the Terry. Huge difference! So on Sunday I took a quick trip over to Alameda Bicycle and ordered a new 11-28 cassette. This will give me the same gears on the Specialized that I have on the Terry, with the exception of that lowest granny gear (the 32). I can't wait to get it installed and try it out on the nearest hill.

No comments: