Friday, August 10, 2007

SF-SLO Tour, Day 5

Day 5: San Simeon to San Luis Obispo(route), 43 miles
Total time in the saddle: 4 hours 15 minutes
Elevation gain: 1800 feet

After the challenges of day 4, the relatively short, flat route of the final day was a welcome sight. And although it wasn't as scenic as the previous days along the coastal cliffs, there was still plenty of interesting scenery. Just a few miles outside of San Simeon, we traveled through a cute little beach village called Moonstone Beach and then through Cambria. Past Cambria the route took us a bit inland for the next 10 miles or so, and we didn't see the ocean again until Cayucos, another cute beach town.

A few miles down the coast we stopped for lunch at Morro Bay. I had been feeling sluggish and dehydrated in the morning, but felt revived after lunch. In contrast, kc had been feeling pretty good up until Morro Bay, but then he ended up seriously bonking the final 15 miles to San Luis Obispo.

Once we arrived in SLO, kc crashed out for a few hours while I explored the quaint downtown area. Later that evening, while investigating dinner options, we ended up stumbling upon this wall downtown covered in bubble gum. Disgusting!


For my part, it was a great end to a great tour down the coast. I only wish I had been able to continue a few more days down to Santa Barbara, but alas I had to return to work. Next year I think I'll be ready for something even more challenging.

No comments: