Sunday, November 4, 2007

Lafayette-Mt. Diablo Loop (42.5 miles)

Today I came this close to making it up to the summit of Mt. Diablo. Even though I didn't make it up there today, I did go farther up than on my last trip, and I'm pretty sure that next time I'll be able to get my ass up to the top without too much trouble.

Like last time, I began at Lafayette BART station, which gives me a nice warm-up of 12-13 miles before starting the real climb. Unfortunately I again consumed 4 cups of java before heading out and again had trouble finding a restroom before hitting the mountain. Last time I passed up a porta-potty at a park that was under construction, in the hopes of finding a better option (yes that was stupid). This time I stopped at that park and the construction is finished, so no more porta-potty. Argh. Luckily they are doing some re-paving at the Athenian School at the base of Diablo, so there's a pit toilet there for now. But I really need to map out some better break spots, because I feel like I'm at the mercy of the construction crews in the San Ramon valley.

I wasn't really feeling 100% today, and it was pretty warm up on the mountain... probably around 75 degrees, which is too goddamn hot for November if you ask me. So I think it took me a bit longer to get up to the rangers station. At that point I took the turn up Summit Road for the first time ever. I was expecting it to be harsh, because it's supposed to be much steeper than either approach to the rangers station. But actually it really wasn't too bad. From the rangers station to the summit is 4.5 miles, and I made it up to Juniper campground, 3000 ft and 2 miles from the summit, when I ran out of water. And, because this is the kind of luck I have, none of the water spigots are working on the mountain right now. Apparently they've turned off all the water because they're low. Fair enough, but still... it's a problem if you're out there and dehydrated, no? At the campground I ran into a park ranger, Sam, who gave me one of his extra water bottles. Thanks Sam! Since I was already a bit dehydrated, I didn't want to push it, so that's when I decided to head back down. Next time I'll hydrate better and bring extra water.

Heading back down North Gate was pleasant.. I stopped to take a few pics along the way. Instead of finishing up at Pleasant Hill BART I looped back over to Lafayette for a quick BART ride home.


Animules: horses, one dead squirrel
Total Distance: 42.5 miles
Elevation gain: about 3000 feet
Time in the Saddle: 4 hours
Route (on bikely.com): Lafayette-Mt. Diablo

No comments: