Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tilden Park-San Pablo Dam Reservoir (38 miles)

With one week left until the Maui trip, and a three day weekend courtesy of uncle Arnold, I wanted to get in a ride every day over the weekend. This is mostly just for training purposes, but I also want to see how the aluminum frame Dolce feels after consecutive days of riding. In the past when I've done multi-day tours I've always taken the steel-frame Terry. But for various reasons, I decided to just rent a bike on Maui from a bike shop that carries the make, model, and size of my Specialized Dolce.

Anyway, when I started out this morning I intended to do the Grizzly Peak Pinehurst loop, but then about half way through I decided I would take a left after Tilden rather than a right. This option takes you past the San Pablo Dam reservoir, then through some slightly white trash communities of the bay area before rejoining the Berkeley area and vicinity.

The jaunt through El Cerrito and Albany follows the Ohlone bikeway, which is nice if you don't mind that a) it runs directly under the BART rail, and b) that it requires stopping as it intersects each block. One item of note: the northern part of the bikeway is a wildflower preserve, and the flowers are just starting to bloom. Pretty!

For the initial ride up Old Tunnel Road, I clocked time in motion of 43 minutes and 30 seconds, which is 3 minutes faster than when I clocked it on January 1 as my "time trial". Today I really tried to stay out of my lowest gear on the climb, since I know my Maui rental won't have a 28 on the cassette. Forcing myself to push a slightly higher gear might have accounted for the difference.

Animules: more skunk roadkill. What is going on with the dead skunks this winter? Also, some horses, alive, with riders, up in the park
Total Distance: 38 miles
Elevation gain: about 3800 feet
Time in the Saddle: 3.5 hours
Route (on bikely.com): Tilden-San Pablo Dam

No comments: