Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Time Trial: Old Tunnel Road

I do this quick ride all the time, but realized today that it's a good candidate for a hilly time trial. Starting from Rockridge, it's a steady 5 mile climb up to the ridge line, where Skyline Blvd meets Grizzly Peak. There are a couple of nice things about this climb: there's only one traffic light to get through (and usually you don't have to wait more than 20 seconds for it to turn), and Old Tunnel Road has very light traffic, limited mostly to local residents.

From now on I'm going to start clocking this ride whenever I do it, to see if I can't shave some time off in the coming months. I expect my time will be slightly faster when I'm riding the Specialized (aluminum) rather than the Terry (steel frame, with racks and panniers), so I'll note which machine I'm using each time.

Bike: Specialized Dolce
Total Time Clocked, from Claremont/College to Grizzly Peak: 49 minutes
Actual Ride time: 46 minutes 30 seconds
Total Distance: 5.1 miles
Route (bikely.com): Old Tunnel Road

No comments: