Sunday, May 25, 2008

Diablo ranger station x2 (about 40 miles)

I had originally planned to go camping this weekend, but the trip ended up getting canceled due to forest fires and rain. I know it seems strange to have both of those things at once, but there you go. Oh well, more time for cycling.

This Sunday’s ride was a double trip up to the Mt Diablo ranger station: from Walnut Creek I climbed up North Gate road, descended South Gate, and then climbed back up South Gate to the station. Although the total mileage and elevation gain was about the same as just going once up to the summit, psychologically it was important for my Death Ride training to be able to climb up a mountain twice. Actually I really need to be able to climb up Diablo 3 times so that I’m totally prepared to do 3 passes on the Death Ride, but 2 is a good start.

I had my best ride up North Gate yet. It took me about the same time as usual, but I felt more relaxed than ever, comfortable in the pace I set. Usually I stop for a breather after the first steep section (a little over a third of the way up) and then again before the switchbacks, but today I cruised straight through. I hadn’t gone up South Gate since the early spring, and I was surprised how much easier it seemed compared to North Gate.

As far as Death Ride prep goes, the two climbs today measured:
7.8 miles, 2000 feet (North Gate)
6.8 miles, 1630 feet (South Gate)

The three passes I want to complete in July are:
Front side of Monitor: 13.3 miles, 2700 feet
Front side of Ebbetts: 10.4 miles, 2700 feet
Back side of Ebbetts: 4.8 miles, 1500 feet

So, what I really need to do is go up North Gate to Juniper (10 miles, 2700 feet), come back down, do that same climb again, come back down, and then go up South Gate to the ranger station. That will be fun.

Animules: Along the side of the road on North Gate I saw what I think was a young coyote.
Total Distance: 38 miles
Elevation gain: 4000 feet
Time in the Saddle: 4 hours

No comments: