Friday, May 22, 2009

Death Ride training

I've really been slacking off on the blog posting this year, mostly because of workload I guess. But that doesn't mean I haven't been riding! I've also been neglecting my mileage stats spreadsheet, which is a shame cause it's kind of like balancing your checkbook. Once it's out of date, you'll never get it back to its original state of accuracy.

Anyhoodle, since the Cinderella way back in April, I did the Wine Country Century with my buddies from NYC, but it was monsoon weather so R and I did the bailout route which still got us to 79 miles for the day. J was a machine and did the full century in the torrential downpour that seems to follow us where ever we ride.

After the WCC, it was time to start training seriously for the Death Ride. The weekend after the Wine Country Century, I did a nice ride up Mt Diablo to Juniper Campground. Last weekend we had a freak heat wave so I had to do a shorter mileage route but still managed to get some good climbing in. This weekend, I'm going to do two rides with some significant climbing:

Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm going to do the Mt. Tam loop, starting in the city and going clockwise. So, up Panoramic Highway to the junction, up to the summit, then heading north past Alpine Dam to Fairfax and then back down through the Marin valley to Sausalito. Should be 50-55 miles and 4500 feet of climbing.

Then on Sunday or possibly Monday, ride up Diablo to the summit.

Only 7 weeks left till the big ride.

1 comment:

sosillyano said...

Glad to see you are blogging again. What gives with the Monsoons? Death Ride: we road on a "Shades of Death Road" 2 weeks ago. weird, eh?