Monday, May 25, 2009

Diablo junction x2 - almost

This morning was once again overcast, so I headed out east to find some sunshine. I debated doing a couple of different rides (possibly Morgan Territory) but in the end decided to go back to Mt. Diablo. At this point last year (May 25th in fact) I rode up to the ranger station on Diablo twice, so I figured this would be a good milestone for me to hit this weekend.

The weather was perfect: sunny, warm, slight breeze, just great conditions for a ride. Going up North Gate I tried to push myself a little bit more than I had on Saturday, particularly on the final third with the switchbacks. I ended up making it to the junction in 76 minutes, which is still hella slow but not as epically slow as the 83 minutes it took me on Saturday. I'd like to get that down to 65-70 minutes in the next 6 weeks.

From the junction I headed down South Gate and then turned around at the base and came back up. I didn't quite go all the way back to the ranger station, but rode as far as the Rock City flats before turning around and heading to Danville for a snack. Energy level was ok; I certainly felt fatigued but probably could have made it to the junction. What ended up bothering me was my lower back. So I need to get back into doing some exercises to strengthen my core a bit. Other than that, it was a good ride. I'm feeling a little bit better about my chances for the Death Ride after this weekend's training.

No comments: