Sunday, June 24, 2007

Calaveras Loop (50 miles)

Today's ride was a 50 mile loop focusing on Calaveras Road, a very popular single-lane road that connects the Pleasanton/Sunol area with the town of Milpitas. I believe Calaveras was part of the Tour of California route this year.. stage 3 apparently... it's a very lightly travelled road buffered on one side by the Sunol Regional Wilderness and on the other side by a regional park. The first five miles feature a steady, well-graded climb. My favorite! The next five miles or so are sidewinding rollers that hug the ridge of the foothills.

For the route I followed the Velogirls routesheet for the "Calaveras Mini Loop", but started and finished at different BART stations to tack on some miles.

Weather was generally good, not too hot (75-80 I would say), although somehow I managed to have a headwind in every direction of this loop. I don't know how that's even possible. I must have angered some wind diety, but which one?

Also, the regional wilderness in this area was all closed to the public, due to extreme fire hazard. I noted last week how dry everything was east of the hills, and certainly everyone is concerned about what the fire season will bring. But when the hills are like this and you come across these isolated trees perched on a wind-blown crest, I'm always captivated by the starkness of the colors.



Animules: a few cows outside of Sunol; some horses
Distance: 51 miles
Time in the Saddle: 4 hours 18 miles

No comments: