Saturday, June 2, 2007

Rear wheel saga

I've been having ongoing issues with the rear wheel on my Terry Classic for a couple months now. It rode fine for a thousand miles or so, and then I broke a spoke (first one ever). Got it fixed, then a month later, broke another spoke. Then 3 weeks later, another. I don't know if there was something wrong with the wheel to begin with, but from what I've read on the internets, once you have a few broken spokes, it's all downhill from there.

At the end of April I took my Terry into the shop where I bought it, and we decided that we would rebuild the rear wheel with the existing hub, better spokes, and a new rim. It would be a bionic wheel! So we dutefully filled out the order form for the rim and the guy at the shop told me it would take a week or two for the rim to arrive and then a couple of days to rebuild the wheel. No problem!

But then one week went by, and then another. I called the shop, talked to the orders guy, and he said he'd look into it and get back to me. But he didn't. The next week I called and talked to someone different, who said she'd look into it and get back to me. She didn't. Clearly the phone thing wasn't working, so I went back down to the shop and felt like I was starting from square one all over again... even though I was dealing with the original guy I had placed the order with 6 weeks ago. Anyway, he ended up offering me a loaner wheel until my new Velocity rim arrives, and he switched out the cassettes and got me all set up today.

So, the good news is, I have my Terry back and I can stop riding my old beater to work. And it was really cool of this guy to loan me a pretty nice wheel (definitely nicer than my own). But I still have no idea what happened to that order or when the new rim will arrive.

No comments: