Sunday, June 10, 2007

SF-San Rafael loop

I actually had a specific destination today, rather than just a ride for riding's sake. This weekend was the annual Italian Street Painting Festival in San Rafael, which is one of my favorite street festivals in the bay area, so I decided to take the basic Tiburon/Paradise ride and tweak it a bit to swing through San Rafael. Basically, instead of turning right after the hill on Camino Alto, you continue straight on Magnolia through some lovely expensive residential areas (and some little town called Ross?) until you hit San Rafael. Easy.

This is the first time I've ridden to the festival, so I didn't realize that no bicycles were allowed on the grounds. No problem though, because they had free vallet bicycle parking available. Nice!

As usual I took plenty of pics of the street art. I always like to include the artists in the picture as they work on the drawing, but then I end up with many shots of people's butts as they hover over their work. This is one reason not to be a sidewalk chalk artist.

After the stop in San Rafael, the route proceeds to Larkspur Ferry Terminal, then along Paradise Drive to Tiburon, and then to Sausalito if desired. So there are three possible ferry stops along the route, depending on how long you want to stretch your ride. Here's the map of the route: Gmap-Pedometer route

Animules: none, besides the flocks of birds on the bay
Total distance: 40 miles
Time in the Saddle: 4 hours

No comments: