Sunday, July 8, 2007

Cool Tool for Bike Routes

Unfortunately I came down with a nasty little summer cold on Friday morning, so no riding for me this weekend. I decided to put the down-time to good use by mapping the route for my upcoming 5 day ride from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo. I ended up finding, using, and loving a (new to me) online app called Bikely.com.

Bikely.com lets you draw routes online, similar to the Gmap-Pedometer app that I've been using for a while. But Bikely offers additional features and is really geared towards cyclists (obviously) rather than runners, as is the case with Gmap-Ped.

For one thing, Bikely offers much slicker elevation profiles, and you plot route points with a single click of the mouse, rather than a double-click. This may not seem that big of a deal, but when a single route can contain 300 points, there's a carpel tunnel difference between single and double mouse clicks. Also, Bikely gives you the ability to add descriptions, search tags, and to share the route or keep it private. Once you share the route, it becomes part of the library available to other cyclists, which is great.

Anyway, here are the routes for the 5 day SF-SLO ride:

Day 1, Montara (south of SF) to Santa Cruz

Day 2, Santa Cruz to Monterey

Day 3, Monterey to Big Sur

Day 4, Big Sur to San Simeon

Day 5, San Simeon to SLO

No comments: