Sunday, July 15, 2007

East Bay Hills Ramble - Lite

I'm still recovering from a summertime cold I caught last week, so I decided to take it easy today and just do a 30 mile jaunt up and around the hills. This route is very similar to the Oakland Hills Ramble route, but at mile 20, you turn right on Pinehurst Road instead of left. This short 1 mile climb up Pinehurst drops you onto Skyline Blvd. From there it's a quick descent back down into north Oakland.

Although Pinehurst is a really lovely road that meanders through redwood forest, I always avoid it because of the steepness of the final quarter mile. Today I kept waiting to hit that point in the road where it becomes too steep for me to handle, but that point never came. I struggled a bit the last 200 feet, but it wasn't as bad as I remember. I guess that means I'm getting better at this climbing thing.

Distance: 34 miles
Time in the Saddle: 3.5 hours
Elevation gain: 3500 feet
Route map (on Bikely.com): East Bay Hills Ramble

No comments: