Sunday, June 15, 2008

Diablo junction x3 – almost (40 miles)

And so we continue the journey toward becoming one of those weirdos who talks not about riding up Diablo but rather about how many times they rode up Diablo. Today, for me, the answer was 2 and two-thirds.

I had set my alarm for 6am this morning, but ended up turning it off and going back to sleep for another hour. I think I fell a bit behind on my R&R, due mostly to stress at work, so I probably really needed that extra hour. However the result was that I didn’t get out to Walnut Creek until about 9am. A bit of a late start.

The first climb was up the north side to the junction. I was feeling a bit sluggish on this first climb, and was disappointed that I wasn’t able to best my last time of 63 minutes. I logged 64.5 minutes which isn’t bad, but I really want to crack an hour before the end of the month.

From the junction I cruised down the south side to the gate, turned around, and then headed back up. Then from the junction, I descended the north side, turned around, and began climbing again, with the goal of reaching the junction for the third time but knowing that it might not happen. I didn’t feel too fatigued, but by this point it was 12:30 and the air temperature was hovering above 80 degrees… and it felt really hot. The north approach has some brief patches of shade, but it’s pretty exposed. I got about two-thirds of the way up, just before the switchbacks begin, and decided to call it a day. I could have gritted my teeth and made it up to the junction (about another 2 miles) but didn’t feel like killing myself for it. I’ve still got a month left before the Death Ride, and I’m on track as far as my training is concerned. Next weekend I’ll start earlier, do the junction 3 times, and maybe throw in a jaunt up to the summit. Who knows?

For those of you keeping score at home, the three climbs today measured:
7.8 miles, 2000 feet (North Gate)
5.6 miles, 1500 feet (South Gate)
5 miles, 1400 feet (North Gate to the switchbacks)

The three passes I want to complete for the Death Ride are:
Front side of Monitor: 13.3 miles, 2700 feet
Front side of Ebbetts: 10.4 miles, 2700 feet
Back side of Ebbetts: 4.8 miles, 1500 feet

Speaking of the Death Ride, I got my jersey and socks in the mail this week, so I wore them on today’s training ride. I don’t know if that goes against jersey etiquette (sporting the apparel before the event) but it was a good motivator. I had an obligation to live up to the skeleton logo on my back. I got several comments from passing cyclists, and one thumbs up from a motorist. Heh.

Animules: Along the side of the road on North Gate I saw the same young coyote. Coulda been his twin brother.
Total Distance: 40 miles
Elevation gain: 5200 feet
Time in the Saddle: 4 hours 15 minutes

No comments: