Sunday, June 8, 2008

Diablo ranger station x2 (38 miles)

I headed out to Walnut Creek early Saturday morning to climb up the north side of Diablo and try to intersect with Cycling Boss and his crew. They had gotten an extra early start that morning, with the plan of going up North Gate then down South Gate, then back up to the junction. By the time I got up to the junction around 9:30, they were ready to descend back down the north side, turn around, and then come back up to the junction. So my timing was perfect for a second climb.

Incidentally, on this ride up to the junction I logged my best time yet, managing to shave 3 minutes off my previous best time of 66 minutes from the gate to the junction.

My second climb up was a much slower affair, and I really felt it on the steep sections. I certainly didn't set any records the second time up, but I was only 4 minutes slower.. not too bad all things considered. The next step will be to integrate a climb up South Gate into this route. That will get me pretty close to total elevation for my 3-pass Death Ride.

Miles: 38
Total elevation gain: about 4000 feet
Time in the saddle: 3 hours 40 minutes

No comments: